Sunday, April 20, 2008

Chicken Stock

What you will need:
The bones and skin from a Cooked or uncooked Chicken
5 or 6 carrots chopped up in big pieces
4 or Five stalks of Celery Chopped in thirds (leaves are fine too)
4 onions Peeled and Quartered
5 cloves of galric smashed
Water

While this is not a traditional toddler food it does make the most flavorful soup ever. Add noodles or dumplings to this stock once it is prepared and you will have a wonderful delisious soup. I started making stock when buying Split chicken breasts was more cost effective. I will typically buy a large pack of split breasts bone them and use the remaining skin and bones to make stock.

In a large pot place all ingredients. Fill pot with water almost to cover all ingredients. Allow to cook for about 2 hours covered on medium heat. Pour stock with bones into tupperware and allow to cool before refridgerating. For best results allow stock to sit 1-2 days. Remove from refridgerator spoon off Fat from top of stock and strain broth in a fine strainer. Using a spoon press vegetables to remove more fluid. Carrots can be reserved if you wish just do not crush these in the straing process. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Fat can be used for Bird Suet or recipies that call for Shmaltz. It can be frozen for about a month.

1 comment:

Anne B. said...

Glad I found this... I'm always wondering what else I can try to feed our baby! I did try Thai Chicken Balls from Allrecipes (basicallly ground chicken meatballs with sweet chilli sauce, coriander, green onions and cilantro). It was really mild, but yummy! I baked them rather than frying them. I'm planning on posting on my blog this week, but who knows if that'll happen!!